We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Spicy BBQ Wings
These simple and easy-to-make wings get a spicy kick from a spicy BBQ sauce but, if you like the heat, then add some hot sauce or diced jalapeños. You could also try adding some heat to a ranch or blue cheese dipping sauce. Or, if you'd rather just have mild BBQ-flavored wings, then look for a less intense BBQ sauce.
Click here for The Ultimate Wing Party story.
- 3 pounds chicken wings (wingettes and drumettes split)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup spicy BBQ sauce, plus more as needed
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and pat dry the wings. In a foil-lined baking pan or tray, toss the wings with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway, until crispy and juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Remove the wings from the oven and toss with the BBQ sauce. Serve immediately.
BBQ Chicken Wings Ingredients
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup tomato sauce (use ketchup for a sweeter version)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon (try it with tequila or rum instead, or use broth for a non-alcoholic version)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey (maple syrup is a nice substitution)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (use less or omit for less sweet)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN WINGS
- 3 pounds chicken wings separated, wing tips removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (use cayenne pepper for even hotter)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
These wings are probably the best thing that my husband has ever made. He&rsquos been making these wings for a number of years now, but I finally got him to write up the recipe for me and took a few pictures before they were inhaled by everyone.
The kids LOVE these. They are a bit spicy, but nothing too crazy. Unless you are ultra-sensitive to any heat, you should be able to handle it. 3/4 of my boys do, and the only one who couldn&rsquot hate almost any and all condiments and sauces on his foods. No ketchup on hot dogs even. He makes exceptions for spaghetti sauce, but that&rsquos about it.
I LOVE chicken wings. Buffalo Wild Wings was one of my very favorite places back when I lived near several of them in Minnesota. What I don&rsquot like though, is having to fry the wings in order to get that crispy, delicious skin.
Jeremiah solved that by grilling the wings to perfection and then coming up with his very own sauce blend that will rival ANY that BW3&rsquos can put out there, by FAR.
Separate the joints of the wings, throw out the end portion, and then season the wings liberally with the spice rub.
Place on your grill over medium heat, and turn the wings often to ensure even cooking without scorching.
While the wings are grilling, mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Toss the wings with the sauce and serve immediately, and with lots of napkins.
Don&rsquot underestimate the number of wings you will need, because people go a little crazy with these.
The General Tso&rsquos Sauce we use looks like this.
I&rsquove seen it at Wal-mart, Fred Meyer, and several major grocers in the Midwest. If you have trouble finding it, you can order it from wal-mart online. (That is NOT even an affiliate link. Just a regular link to get you this deliciousness in your hands that much sooner.)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 5 pounds chicken wings, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup hot barbecue sauce (or more to taste use your favorite and the hottest sauce you can stand)
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 small chunks of apple wood
- 1 disposable foil pan
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
BBQ Short Ribs recipe. The marinade uses simple pantry ingredients such as soy sauce, mirin, garlic, sesame oil, and sugar. To add a savory heat, the secret is to use gochujang, the essential Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. It has both spicy and sweet flavors and umami from fermented glutinous rice.
We really enjoy the marinade and have been using it for different dishes, but one day I decided to give it a little tweak by adding honey and grated apple to the mixture. They were simple additions, but boy, how they could really enhance a dish. The honey adds a deep caramelization to the wings, and the apple gives a subtle tart sweetness. My kids gave this newly improved sweet and spicy marinade a big thumbs up and devoured the wings right away!
You can definitely use the marinade in other cuts of chickens, or even for grilled tofu or grilled beef. And don’t forget to adjust the amount of each seasoning to suit your taste.
Japanese Ingredient Substitution: If you want to look for substitutes for Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here.
Sign up for the free Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! And stay in touch with me on Facebook , Pinterest , YouTube , and Instagram for all the latest updates.
This Recipe’s Must-Haves
If you are breaking down the wings into drummettes and flats yourself, make sure you have a quality chef’s knife and plastic cutting board to help make the job easier.
You will need a set of mixing bowls for the marinade, as well as a small saucepan when you cook said marinade down into the sauce that coats the wings on the grill (or in the oven).
For grills, I can not recommend this Traeger grill enough. With the signature grill pellets, you get the most amazing added flavor to the wings and they get so crispy!
A silicone brush is perfect for brushing the wings with the sauce as they cook.
More chicken wing recipes: Grilled Sriracha Honey Wings / Grilled Cajun Wings / Grilled Beer Marinated Wings / Miso Glazed Wings
How to Make Extra Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings &ndash with Moruga Scorpion Powder &ndash the Recipe Method
First, pat the chicken wings dry and add them to a large bowl.
Next, add all dried seasonings, including the Moruga Scorpion powder, and rub the wings down. Be sure to get it nicely rubbed into the skin. Feel free to use extra Moruga Scorpion powder, you crazy chilihead, you!
Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
When you&rsquore ready to get grilling, heat your grill to medium-high heat.
Grill the wings about 20-25 minutes, flipping often, until cooked through.
Remove from heat and toss in the wing sauce.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl toss the chicken wings with the vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Line up the chicken wings on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake until wings are crispy and browned for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove the wings and add them to a large (clean) bowl.
- Toss them with the barbecue sauce, then bake them for an additional 5 minutes.
MORE TASTY CHICKEN APPETIZER RECIPES
Slow Cooker Buffalo Wings
Super Crispy Chicken Tenders
Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Bacon Brown Sugar Chicken Tenders
VARIATIONS ON BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
- Spicy: If you want to try a spicy BBQ Chicken Wings recipe, stir your favorite hot sauce into your barbecue sauce before spreading over the wings for the final bake.
- Honey BBQ: This recipes becomes easy Honey BBQ Wings just by adding a few tablespoons to a 1/4 cup of honey to your BBQ sauce, depending on how sweet and tangy you like your wings.
- Spices: The nice thing about BBQ marinades is that the flavor is easily changed just by mixing in spices or even other sauces. Play around by adding things like soy sauce, fresh garlic, dijon mustard, sweet chili sauce, chipotle in adobo sauce, etc to your BBQ sauce. So you don’t waste a whole bottle of sauce, experiment with just a couple teaspoons of BBQ sauce until you find the flavor you like.
BBQ CHICKEN WINGS FAQS
- How long does it take to make BBQ chicken wings? This recipe takes about an hour and 40 minutes to cook, plus an additional 5 to 10 minutes to prep.
- What goes with BBQ chicken wings? Ranch is our favorite dip to serve with BBQ wings. Like BBQ sauce, you can add different spices to your ranch to better match your wings. For example, if you make Asian inspired BBQ wings, add some wasabi, a few drops of sesame oil, and ginger to your ranch for a dip that pairs perfectly.
TYPES OF BARBECUE SAUCE
The kind of sauce that is “true barbecue” varies person to person. While there are probably as many different versions of BBQ sauce as there are people in the US, there are four main bases for making Barbecue Sauce. Which one is your family favorite?
- Tomato-Based Sauces: This is the most typical “grocery store” sauce you are going to see, with it’s dark brown or red coloring that comes from a base of ketchup. Loaded with all kinds of different flavorings from smokey to sweet to spicy, this popular sauce goes well with pretty much any meat or BBQ dish.
- Vinegar-Based Sauces: Vinegar lends a sour, tangy flavor to BBQ sauce. While vinegar based sauces tend to leave out tomato, they more than make up for it with spices and heat. North Carolinians love this sauce for pork and other fatty meats.
- Mustard-Based Sauces: A lot of people know this as South Carolina style BBQ sauce, it is a sauce made from mustard (which gives it that signature gold color), vinegar, sugar and spices. Pork and chicken soak up this sauce well.
- Mayonnaise-Based Sauces: Yup, mayo BBQ sauce. And this isn’t the kind that is just mixing mayo with bbq. Commonly known as Alabama White Sauce, it’s a thinned out mayo sauce loaded with seasoning and tangy flavor that’s perfect for smoked chicken.
MORE EASY BBQ GAME DAY RECIPES
BBQ Pulled Chicken
Easy Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken
HOW LONG ARE BBQ CHICKEN WINGS GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave your BBQ Chicken Wings out for longer than 2 hours at room temperature.
- Store: You can keep BBQ Chicken Wings in the fridge for up to 3 days. Keep them sealed in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and allow them to cool down to room temperature before you put them away.
- Freeze: You can keep your BBQ Chicken Wings in the freezer for up to 1 month. A good tip for keeping the wings from fusing together is to keep them layered between sheets of parchment paper.
WHEN ARE BBQ CHICKEN WINGS SAFE TO EAT?
Chicken is completely done and safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (73.8 degrees C), according to the USDA’s Official Website.
Super Smokers Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
Have you ever wished to have the skills needed to make your favorite restaurant dishes in the comfort of your own home? Whether it be a decadent pasta or something laid-back that's perfect for a family barbecue, it never hurts to try. This is the perfect recipe to inspire you to start cooking the most flavorful and popular dishes for yourself!
Juicy, delectable, and spicy chicken wings certainly are enough to make your mouth water and your stomach go wild. Just think of the most esteemed barbecue restaurants in your area, has any particular flavor popped up on your tongue yet? These particular chicken wings are one of the most popular appetizers at Super Smokers BBQ. The sweetness comes from honey and the kick comes from using the hottest, spiciest barbecue sauce your taste buds can handle. You will need applewood chips and a disposable foil pan for this recipe. You can also find this recipe in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe.
This recipe is sure to impress your family and guests and make them feel like they've treated themselves to a restaurant meal for the night!