We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Squash soup
- Butternut squash soup
Hawaij is a spice mix from Yemen and adds beautiful, distinctive flavour to this vegan vegetable soup. You can find hawaij online or in speciality shops, or there is a recipe for a homemade version on this site.
1 person made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, undrained
- 1.2L water
- 2 tablespoons hawaij
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- salt and pepper to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:45min
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato, celery, carrots and chickpeas; cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water and bring the soup to the boil. Stir in the hawaij and vegetable bouillon powder (or 1 to 2 vegetable stock cubes). Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.
Make your own Yemeni spice mix with our recipe for hawaij.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (4)
Yummy! I made my own Hawaij spice mix based on an online recipe as I had all the spices on hand (black pepper, cardamom, turmeric, cloves, cumin, etc...) Don't know if it was exactly right, but the soup was great! My butternut squash was a bit too old, so I added more potatoes (3 medium-sized yellow potatoes total), and I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh. The next day I garnished it with feta, lemon juice, and cilantro, and that was awesome. Thanks for a great new flavor. I'll have to ask my Yemeni co-workers about this-07 Apr 2010
I made this last summer for me and my girlfriend. She is Vegetarian so it can be hard finding something we will both enjoy, but this certainly did the trick. I am making it again tomorrow with a few variations so we shall see how that goes. Last time I used Curry paste instead of hawaij and it worked perfectly. Who would have thought swapping out the ingredient the dish is named for would work.-15 Mar 2011